Sunday, December 27, 2009

Damn, Can We Keep SOMETHING?!

Don't get me wrong, I love Jersey Shore. The show is proof positive that fuckery knows no color. We had Flavor Flav, White people got "The Situation". We got Lil Kim, White people got Snookie ( I love you Snookie!). But, Damn- the Blow-out is sacred and holy ground, reserved for us at a time when celebrating and embracing our blackness meant letting our nappy manes bloom forth. So when I see Paulie refer to his gel-encrusted hair sculpture as a "blow-out", I get rubbed a little wrong. For those of you who don't recall 1965-1979 (not that i was around then, but I've seen photos), I present Exhibit A:



Now, here's what White people think a blow-out is:



Leave it to White folks to totally erase the origin of something and take it as their own. Rock n Roll, Hip Hop, Jazz, Math, Science, Astronomy, Cleopatra, Africa, Jesus, Harlem, and now HAIR?! Hair, White people?! We can't even have the BLOW-OUT?!

Dirty muthafuckas.

No comments:

Post a Comment